Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that I know a Z06 will be in my price range & my dealer thinks he can get his hands on a car for me in 2015, I'm wondering if the oil ingestion issues discovered in the Stingray will also afflict the Z06.

I've read GM recently released a revised air snorkel intake design for the Stingray. But, don't know if they have officially acknowledged the problem.

So, they probably won't say what may, or may not, have been done to address the issue in the Z06. Or, has a Corvette insider commented...

Anyone know?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Now that I know a Z06 will be in my price range & my dealer thinks he can get his hands on a car for me in 2015, I'm wondering if the oil ingestion issues discovered in the Stingray will also afflict the Z06.

I've read GM recently released a revised air snorkel intake design for the Stingray. But, don't know if they have officially acknowledged the problem.

So, they probably won't say what may, or may not, have been done to address the issue in the Z06. Or, has a Corvette insider commented...

Anyone know?
My expectation is to use a catch can plus clean side separator. The plumbing is apparently slightly different, with the second vacuum source and the supercharger. At any rate, it seems like it will be simple enough once some pictures come out of an installation.

Reactions: Z06 Owned

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Fear not my friends - the forum vendors will produce a catch can that captures a full 1/3rd of that pesky PCV oil vapor AND adds a full 13 HP!

Sweet.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2ndvette

·
Registered
817 Posts
OMG! The Internet Hysteria continues and the car hasn't even been produced.
Well! APPARENTLY you don't know that the glass is really half empty. And if it is half full, which it is not, it would be oil coming some poor innocent's Stingray motor. THIS could spell the end of mankind. If only the engineers at GM knew as much as some of the folks anonymously posting on various internet forums. GM's hiring process must really suck! We should all demand perfection in our $vw,xyz priced Corvette and at the first hint of even a possible mechanical failure, or less than perfect design, march down to the stealerships and demand a NEW CAR. And don't fall for some smooth talking Automotive Service Excellence Master Technician claims that they are working closely with GM to diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it. It's just a stall tactic. Lawyer up and make everyone's life miserable! ;)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well! APPARENTLY you don't know that the glass is really half empty. And if it is half full, which it is not, it would be oil coming some poor innocent's Stingray motor. THIS could spell the end of mankind. If only the engineers at GM knew as much as some of the folks anonymously posting on various internet forums. GM's hiring process must really suck! We should all demand perfection in our $vw,xyz priced Corvette and at the first hint of even a possible mechanical failure, or less than perfect design, march down to the stealerships and demand a NEW CAR. And don't fall for some smooth talking Automotive Service Excellence Master Technician claims that they are working closely with GM to diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it. It's just a stall tactic. Lawyer up and make everyone's life miserable! ;)
Not making anyone's life miserable. I'm not a "lawyer up" type person. If I were, I'd be hoping for an oil ingestion issue so I could get 1-6 months of free Z06 use. Just because YOU think that way, doesn't mean everyone does. Get my drift?

Fact is, I don't want to spend over $80K and end up being miserable myself because I didn't do my due diligence. Information is power. You can use it however you like.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I guess you first need to believe there is a PCV problem with the LT1 to believe their MIGHT be an issue with the LT4, even knowing the PCV system had to be redesigned to handle the significant increase in crankcase pressure a boosted engine has. My money is on the GM powertrain engineers.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I guess you first need to believe there is a PCV problem with the LT1 to believe their MIGHT be an issue with the LT4, even knowing the PCV system had to be redesigned to handle the significant increase in crankcase pressure a boosted engine has. My money is on the GM powertrain engineers.
Thanks for the objective response and opinion.

I'm not sure there is a PVC "problem" as much as there are logical reasons why DI motors suffer intake coking issues.

Before this whole issue caught the attention of the Stingray community, I found it odd to hear so many of the popular Ford F-150 turbo motors (ecoboost) with super noisy valve trains after 40-50K miles. Now I know why...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Thanks for the objective response and opinion.

I'm not sure there is a PVC "problem" as much as there are logical reasons why DI motors suffer intake coking issues.

Before this whole issue caught the attention of the Stingray community, I found it odd to hear so many of the popular Ford F-150 turbo motors (ecoboost) with super noisy valve trains after 40-50K miles. Now I know why...
It is PCV "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" not PVC "Polyvinyl chloride" which is a very common plastic pipe used in your sprinklers.....

Neither the C7 or the Z06 uses these plastic pipes anywhere so definitely no pvc issues in either car :)

Reactions: greggshere

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is PCV "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" not PVC "Polyvinyl chloride" which is a very common plastic pipe used in your sprinklers.....

Neither the C7 or the Z06 uses these plastic pipes anywhere so definitely no pvc issues in either car :)
You know what I meant...HA! Too funny.

Long week at the office.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Not making anyone's life miserable. I'm not a "lawyer up" type person. If I were, I'd be hoping for an oil ingestion issue so I could get 1-6 months of free Z06 use. Just because YOU think that way, doesn't mean everyone does. Get my drift?

Fact is, I don't want to spend over $80K and end up being miserable myself because I didn't do my due diligence. Information is power. You can use it however you like.

My post was not directed to any specific person. I'm simply making light of some of the ridiculous demands some forum members make.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My post was not directed to any specific person. I'm simply making light of some of the ridiculous demands some forum members make.
:) Totally got it! After reading some of them, I swear they make you want to go out and kick the dog or something. Guess we have to develop a talent to be able to identify, categorize and file them in in there appropriate places.........

·
Banned
631 Posts
Fear not my friends - the forum vendors will produce a catch can that captures a full 1/3rd of that pesky PCV oil vapor AND adds a full 13 HP!

Sweet.:rolleyes:

LOL! My point exactly!

:) Totally got it! After reading some of them, I swear they make you want to go out and kick the dog or something. Guess we have to develop a talent to be able to identify, categorize and file them in in there appropriate places.........

These are excelent engines and cars...but since going DI Lambo, Ferrari, Maserati, and the rest of the super cars all use them now as does the new Mopar 707 HP monster.

Most will go through their ownership never being aware of the issues or the need to prevent them.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't know the Mopar 707 was DI...
Guess I didn't pay it much attention.

Put 1000HP in a 4400+lb Challenger/Charger, and you'll have a power-to-weight ratio that will get my attention.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Ok so more info from GM and Harlan.

The spoiler we've all seen the Z07 spoiler that has the glass window in the middle that is adjustable up and down. If you get a stage , 2 or 3 spoiler it looks like the Z07 spoiler but has no glass window in the middle. There is just sort of a valley there instead.

No EPA numbers yet and may not be any until they start to ship.

Over the next couple of weeks they are going to start to build some more Z06 for testing so those going to the NCM next week might see one.

The 8 speed auto while cruising will automatically go into 4 cylinder mode.
You might want to put this in one of the Z06 features threads or start an new thread, it will get lost in a thread about hypothetical Z06 oil injestion.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
You might want to put this in one of the Z06 features threads or start an new thread, it will get lost in a thread about hypothetical Z06 oil injestion.
My mistake hit the wrong link all moved thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ok so more info from GM and Harlan.

The spoiler we've all seen the Z07 spoiler that has the glass window in the middle that is adjustable up and down. If you get a stage , 2 or 3 spoiler it looks like the Z07 spoiler but has no glass window in the middle. There is just sort of a valley there instead.

No EPA numbers yet and may not be any until they start to ship.

Over the next couple of weeks they are going to start to build some more Z06 for testing so those going to the NCM next week might see one.

The 8 speed auto while cruising will automatically go into 4 cylinder mode.
I believe the stage 3 spoiler IS the Z07 spoiler. The stage 2 spoiler is very similar but no clear center section nor the holes for the screws that fasten the center section.

Recently I saw a video of a Z06/07 with what looked like a much bigger spoiler...but haven't seen it anywhere else. It has been reported the aero bits were being tweaked. But, a GM rep at Carlisle said what they have been showing on the Shark Grey Z07 that has been traveling from show to show is the final Z07/stage 3 spoiler.

·
18,670 Posts
Until we learn more, let us take a time out on any potential Z06 oil injestion issues. Thread closed in this general Z06 section until we have more information, though perhaps a vendor specializing in catch can and/or oil injestion and related issues might want to start a similar thread in their section

Thank you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.