Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of us who have been waiting, yes impatiently, for the new Z06 to arrive, wishing that GM hurries up the process and starts production right away, the following is a very vivid, and very visual example of why GM properly takes months and months and months to field test, refine, improve, and ultimately upgrade brand-new models, in this case the beloved Z06.

Here is a before picture of the Z06 is LT4 intake system. This system was shown at the January 13th Z06 reveal at NAIAS.

Note that the air comes in through an intake system above the right front wheel then curves around, approximately 135 degrees, to face obliquely into the front of the motor. In order to allow for the motor even some minor flexing in its motor mounts as a result of torque changes, flexing differentially from the fender structure, there are many corrugations in that intake tube. However, as we all know air intake corrugations interfere with smooth efficient air flow. We now have, thanks to Halltech, a picture of the revised, production intake system (below). Note, that it flows directly into the front of the motor, almost force feed due to its straight shot, i.e, the faster the car goes, the greater air-ram effect. No more corrugations, no curves, in short a more efficient system -- though we do have what appears to be a Helmholtz sound attenuation reservoir (thank you "MarkRx") off to one side of that intake to reduce unwanted intake sounds. 2015 production Z06's will have this new intake system.

We also know of one other significant area in which the preproduction, stage 1, Z06 has undergone a significant change, i.e., whereas the initial GM communications referred to the spoiler being the same as that on a Z-51 StingRay, told it even had the same part number, we learned in April at the NCM BASH that the Z-51 spoiler did not provide enough rear downforce on the car. Hence, the production stage 1 version now has a three piece spoiler that looks a fair amount like that on the other two stages of the Z06, at least unlike the Z-51 spoiler.

We also saw at the NCM "20th Anniversary Event", a new lower front intercooler, rumored to be necessary as part of making the automatic 8-speed tranny track certified, and further are hearing unconfirmed reports that there may also be additional, miniature, heat exchangers, inside the rockers, as part of that program.

These are just three of the very visible changes between the preproduction version and the upcoming customer Z06's, to be manufactured starting just three weeks away.

We will never know the full extend of the changes in this preproduction to production Z06 process, but several have guessed that there are at least fifty (50), perhaps approaching a hundred (100), other changes. While we are impatiently awaiting the first production/customer cars, thank you GM for, over the last nine months since the Z06's reveal, testing, developing and improving the customer Z06's that you will soon be delivering.

·
Registered
952 Posts
...and once again we all bow down to your expertise and mysterious connections!!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
John,

I beg to disagree but the production version in the second picture makes the same 135 degree bend to pick up air from the side inlet. They just added the side resonator where the vent from the oil tank goes and eliminated the flex tubing. It can't take air from straight ahead as all of that air flows through the radiator and would be super heated.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Mark for pointing out my error, for you are correct, i.e., intake tube sure can't go through the radiator.

The redesign of the intake does now contain, as you noted, a resonator, and some new venting (perhaps to address another issue we have long talked about). Good for GM to incorporate those two improvements. And it is also more than also just the "elimination of flex tubing." Jim Hall (Halltech Systems, known for its aftermarket efficient Corvette regular and CAI intake systems) said GM bought a Halltech "StingRay CF intake" in the spring, had it shipped directly to the Milford Proving Grounds. My take is that GM saw what was better in it, then used some of it's features that weren't trademarked. Jim added, "Notice the (new Z06) production intake system. One piece unit like our Stinger. Nice." And, of course, being one piece eliminates joints that often contribute to inefficient air flow.

A good example of GM using the time between the Z06 reveal and producing customer cars, to refine/improve another Z06 component

1 - 4 of 4 Posts