Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While the Z06 has three aero stages, the powertrain is the same in all three (though perhaps eLSd and other calibrations differences). The three Z06 aero stages:

John Bednarchik, the Corvette team lead aerodynamicist, stated, with a big smile, "This car produces more downforce than any production car in GM history." The car at NAIAS is outfitted with the Z07 performance package, which adds not only larger, lighter carbon-ceramic brakes and ultra-sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires to the equation, but also has the "Stage 3 aero package," as in this Z07 picture.

There are essentially three stages of aero performance available on the Z06.

Stage 1 is standard equipment and includes a Z51 Stingray rear spoiler, a front splitter, and spats at the front wheel arches.

Stage 2 is optional and includes a slightly more aggressive front splitter molded from carbon fiber, front corner small vertical "winglets," carbon rocker panel extensions, and a larger rear spoiler (also carbon fiber) with fixed "wickerbill" and Gurney flap aero tabs on the back for increased downforce. The available carbon-fiber aero package is available in either black carbon-fiber (CFZ) or a visible carbon-fiber finish (CFV).

Stage 3 is the Z07 package. Order the package, and your car will arrive looking mostly like a Stage 2 car, but in the trunk you'll find a carbon front splitter with extra-large winglets and a clear center Gurney flap segment that bolts to the rear spoiler for even more downforce. That center piece is clear to improve rear visibility—and it's adjustable up and down, with changes of just a quarter-inch said to have been noticeable.

The Z07 option also includes the huge 15"+ carbon -ceramic brakes, increased spring and shock rates, and the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Z06 tire option info and comparison pictures here:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/c7-corvette-z06/2471-z06-tires.html

Above information from GM.media, GM "Z06 Dealer Fact Sheet," and interview with GM's John Bednarchik

·
Registered
817 Posts
Any indication how much an effect the increased spring and shock rates will have on ride quality on the street?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had the exact question. I asked a friend of mine, just before he had dinner with Tadge and Harlan last Tuesday, if he would please ask that one question. When he did, they responded that as all Z06's have standard MSRP, you can adjust the ride to the softest tour setting when you want. They commented, however, that it is still a Z06 -- meaning that the ride is still a firm ride, adding that final calibrations are going to occur throughout many more months, and thus final ride qualities are still being determined, i.e., how firm will be for the Z07 in the tour setting or any of its settings, has not yet been finalized. However, there is little doubt that the Z07 will have the firmest ride of the three Z06 stages.

Bottom line is that this is a question better asked later this year, such as at the April NCM bash, or at NCM at the end of the Caravan (late August) when calibrations are getting closer to being "locked down."

As one who has driven his C6 Z06 cross country a couple of times, a firm ride is fine with me. Whether the finally calibrated Z07 in tour setting has a ride equal to, a touch firmer, or a touch softer than an early C6 Z06 is not yet confirmed. I am betting the answer will be, "if you were comfortable driving an early C6 Z06 cross-country, you will be okay driving a Z07 equipped, C7 Z06 cross-country."

(Please read below to note my subsequent "correction" to that opinion.)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I am betting the answer will be, "if you were comfortable driving an early C6 Z06 cross-country, you will be okay driving a Z07 equipped, C7 Z06 cross-country."
Yep, they seem to really like using that comparison, it's a great "plausible deniability" answer :)

Reactions: weaponX

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True. So far, in the only known final comparison, they were accurate in using it, i.e, we were pleased with the pricing of the 2014 StingRay. I believe that their statement about C7 Z06 pricing (compared to C6 Z06 comparable pricing) will also come true.

The statement about cross-country ride comparability above is my guess; it is, to be fair, not a statement either Tadge nor Harlan made.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As one who has driven his C6 Z06 cross country a couple of times, a firm ride is fine with me. Whether the finally calibrated Z07 in tour setting has a ride equal to, a touch firmer, or a touch softer than an early C6 Z06 is not yet confirmed. I am betting the answer will be, "if you were comfortable driving an early C6 Z06 cross-country, you will be okay driving a Z07 equipped, C7 Z06 cross-country."
UPDATE/CORRECTION: Found an interview with Kirk Bennion, in which he said, commenting on the Z07's ride quality,

"“With all those (Z07) pieces on there, you can drive it around at, say, 60 mph [100 km/h] and see some reduction in your fuel efficiency, but you definitely wouldn’t want to go highway speeds or on an eight-hour trip with the Z07.”

Another reason why no Z07 for me. And this is not a criticism of the Z06 design/engineering team, for it is clear to all, that the best attributes of a track car are not exactly want you want in a cross-country car, or vice-versa. Instead, that team coming right "out of the box," having first-year, three Z06 stages (options), is something I compliment.

Above quote from Kirk Bennion, GM Perfromance Design Manager. Here's the entire Autofocus interview with him:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/c7-corvette-z06/2488-z06-form-follows-function.html

·
Registered
41 Posts
just wanting to know is kerbeck a good dealership ? I was thinking about ordering a z06 from there when the time comes and I hope that time get here fast

·
Registered
817 Posts
UPDATE/CORRECTION: "“With all those (Z07) pieces on there, you can drive it around at, say, 60 mph [100 km/h] and see some reduction in your fuel efficiency, but you definitely wouldn’t want to go highway speeds or on an eight-hour trip with the Z07.”
What I am unsure of is why? Is it simply because it burns more fuel? Or ride quality? Or other issues? Secondly, is there a work-a-round? For example remove some of the aero for street use. (Clearly the Cup tires will not be everyone's tire of choice for street use.)

·
Registered
817 Posts
just wanting to know is kerbeck a good dealership ? I was thinking about ordering a z06 from there when the time comes and I hope that time get here fast
I found them non-responsive to emails, twice. (That is not unique to them.) So I went elsewhere. HOWEVER, they have a very good reputation. Huge dealership. Everything from GM to Bentley to exotics. Biggest, or close to biggest in Corvette sales. Years ago I visited the dealership and chatted up with Mr. Kerbeck senior several times totaling well over an hour. Very impressive man. Extremely knowledgeable would be an understatement.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
What I am unsure of is why? Is it simply because it burns more fuel? Or ride quality? Or other issues? Secondly, is there a work-a-round? For example remove some of the aero for street use. (Clearly the Cup tires will not be everyone's tire of choice for street use.)
More drag with all the extra Z07 pieces gives you more down force so you'll lose a little in gas mileage. To me unless you are buying this car for track or just show a Z07 option really doesn't make sense for an everyday driver.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More drag with all the extra Z07 pieces gives you more down force so you'll lose a little in gas mileage. To me unless you are buying this car for track or just show a Z07 option really doesn't make sense for an everyday driver.
Exactly, more aero aids produce more downforce and result in lesser fuel mileage.

Tadge Juechter confirmed in a video interview that the "entry" level Z06 has the lowest drag, that adding the "aero package" -- either (CFZ) Black carbon-fiber ground effects or (CFV) Z06-unique visible carbon-fiber ground effects, increases the car's drag, positively increases downforce nd thus cornering ability -- yet uses some more fuel.

Finally, the Z07 package creates the most drag, yet consequently creates the greatest downforce and thus results in the best track capability -- yet comparatively uses the most fuel of the three Z06 stages. Like everything else in life, "trade offs."

·
Registered
817 Posts
Exactly, more aero aids produce more downforce and result in lesser fuel mileage.

Tadge Juechter confirmed in a video interview that the "entry" level Z06 has the lowest drag, that adding the "aero package" -- either (CFZ) Black carbon-fiber ground effects or (CFV) Z06-unique visible carbon-fiber ground effects, increases the car's drag, positively increases downforce nd thus cornering ability -- yet uses some more fuel.

Finally, the Z07 package creates the most drag, yet consequently creates the greatest downforce and thus results in the best track capability -- yet comparatively uses the most fuel of the three Z06 stages. Like everything else in life, "trade offs."
I am probably a borderline case between Z07 or not. The majority of my driving will be street, not track. BUT, it will not be a daily driver, rather a "special day driver" that will see some track use. I will log maybe several 1000 miles per year...no way will I approach 10,000 per year. A Cadillac ride is not desired, nor is a true racecar ride acceptable...looking for a high performance street car ride that is track capable. If I need to remove some aero for street use and re-install for track use that is fine with me. The Cup tires are the big unknown in my mind...how many sane street miles will they provide?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No direct experience, but searching the internet, found three folks who had Pilot Sport Cup tires on their ZR1's and got between 5,000-8000 miles on them with street usage. Not a one said anything about track usage however....

·
Registered
817 Posts
No direct experience, but searching the internet, found three folks who had Pilot Sport Cup tires on their ZR1's and got between 5,000-8000 miles on them with street usage. Not a one said anything about track usage however....
Good info. If I could get 8000 street miles on Cup tires I would personally be OK with that. For what is darn near a race tire that is pretty could!

In my search I found one post where a guy with a Porsche got 3000 miles and was seriously bent out of shape over it. One of the replies to the post said 3000 miles was reasonably good.

Elegant, maybe a poll of "How many street miles on Cup tires?" broken down for street only use and combination street/track use.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My guess is mileage will vary on a couple of factors, one of course being how aggressive a driver you are (i.e. a lot of burnouts) also another is where you live. If you live in a very hot climate area the heat (road) will shorten the life of the tires.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Regarding the Z07 additional aero pieces...just don't use them unless you're taking the car to the track. From what we've read, they come as an addition to the Aero package, so I'm guessing the car will get that front splitter out of the factory with the additional splitter delivered just as if you bought a dual-roof option car with the exposed CF and transparent tops.

I won't make a final decision regarding what I'll get until we know more about options. While I don't necessarily need the carbon ceramic brakes, I don't want the smaller 14.6" iron rotors on the base Z06 either. It will be nice if GM offers them as an option on the base and Aero package cars.
S.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
33 Posts
Regarding the Z07 additional aero pieces...just don't use them unless you're taking the car to the track. From what we've read, they come as an addition to the Aero package, so I'm guessing the car will get that front splitter out of the factory with the additional splitter delivered just as if you bought a dual-roof option car with the exposed CF and transparent tops.

I won't make a final decision regarding what I'll get until we know more about options. While I don't necessarily need the carbon ceramic brakes, I don't want the smaller 14.6" iron rotors on the base Z06 either. It will be nice if GM offers them as an option on the base and Aero package cars.
S.
exactly what i wanted to know also

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
When ZR1's came from the factory, the front splitter was not installed due to transport issues. Was installed as part of the PDI process, as were the rocker extensions, etc.

By the way, we have two threads going with some similar questions, inputs. While merging them won't work, just want to insure all also find their way here:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/corvette-z06-purchasing/3212-z06-price-increase-4.html
John, that is very interesting. It never occurred to me that someone whose driveway has multiple sharp peaks and valleys, and is also on a slope, could maybe still own a Z06 Stage 1 by just removing the splitter (yes, this shows I have no experience with sports cars). Hum... Since I would never drive the car above 85 MPH at 95 degree ambient temperatures, I think the aero/cooling would be okay without it. What do you think?

Wheels have started turning in my mind. Hehe... I love the looks of those Z06!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts