Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the April Bash we heard that GM was still working to insure final approval of just two states to insure that the "neutral density" (clear) Z06 taillight brake light lenses would be approved. Since then GM has received the last of the 50 state approvals. Here's the Z06's taillight units.

The taillight unit frames are identical for both the StingRay and the Z06. The units are completely sealed, i.e., one can not remove just the brake light lenses from either aStingRay nor a Z06 unit and interchange them for visual preference. While too early to know pricing, a GM employee indicated that my guess of about $1,000 per each unit was a reasonable rough guess.

There are two differences between the StingRay and Z06 taillight units. Both are obvious, but some might want the differences specified. The StingRay lenses are red and its led brake light diodes are clear, whereas the reverse is true for the Z06, i.e., the Z06's lenses are clear and the led brake light diodes are red.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Thank you for the updates, John.

I suppose California was one of the last two states to give approval. Do you know the other one (and if California was indeed one of the two)?

Also, although it will be legal, many police officers may not know this and may pull cars over for ticketing. Although someone could follow up with a visit to the court house to have the ticket dropped, it is a huge hassle and waste of time.

Do you know if GM will provide some documentation which we can carry in the car to show that the lights have DOT and state-specific (in particular, CA) approval?

Thank you!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I may be in the minority when I say that I don't like the clear taillights. In '14 Porsche started offering the option of clear taillights on 911's, and it just looks very rice-like IMO. Because the side-markers remain colored, they look like an add-on. With the 911's people end up replacing the side markers with clear. The Z06 lights do look better than the 911's clear ones.
S.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
I may be in the minority when I say that I don't like the clear taillights. In '14 Porsche started offering the option of clear taillights on 911's, and it just looks very rice-like IMO. Because the side-markers remain colored, they look like an add-on. With the 911's people end up replacing the side markers with clear. The Z06 lights do look better than the 911's clear ones.
S.
I am with you, Snorman: I don't like the look either. Also, I hate the idea of having a hassle with them, risking getting pulled over and having a huge chunk of time wasted on getting everything straightened out.

I like the standard red ones on the StingRays MUCH better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am with the both of you - prefer red over black

Anybody know the best way to remedy? Purchase StingRay taillight assemblies and switch them out? Or is there a less expensive solution?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I thought the lights turn red as soon as the car is turned on. If so, then we don't have to worry about getting tickets.
I thought they only turned red when the parking lights were lit.
S.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Clearing corners (headlights and tail lights) was big in the S2000 community, but that was years ago. I never much cared for that look then, and I am not a fan of it now either.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anybody know the best way to remedy? Purchase StingRay taillight assemblies and switch them out? Or is there a less expensive solution?
Swapping is an excellent and practical solution, for there already are StingRay owners wanting to get the clear ones. As posted elsewhere, as they are sealed complete taillight units, there is no other simple solution, e.g. swapping out just the lenses.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought they only turned red when the parking lights were lit. S.
The brake lenses are clear, with red led diodes behind them, so they turn red only when the brakes are applied.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Thank you for the updates, John.

I suppose California was one of the last two states to give approval. Do you know the other one (and if California was indeed one of the two)?

Also, although it will be legal, many police officers may not know this and may pull cars over for ticketing. Although someone could follow up with a visit to the court house to have the ticket dropped, it is a huge hassle and waste of time.

Do you know if GM will provide some documentation which we can carry in the car to show that the lights have DOT and state-specific (in particular, CA) approval?

Thank you!
Maybe we need to carry a z06' brochure with us to show the cops it comes clear. :cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
lol maybe we can convince John to call his contacts at GM to let them know that future Z06 buyers want red. Or convince GM to give us a choice of red, clear etc. I don't think it's fair to have to spend $1000 to get standard red tail lights. If we were able to simply swap lenses, that would be fine but that's not the case.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Clearing corners (headlights and tail lights) was big in the S2000 community, but that was years ago. I never much cared for that look then, and I am not a fan of it now either.
It looks like a surprisingly large percentage of people agree; well, at least from those posting here.

Anyone want a poll?

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
lol maybe we can convince John to call his contacts at GM to let them know that future Z06 buyers want red. Or convince GM to give us a choice of red, clear etc. I don't think it's fair to have to spend $1000 to get standard red tail lights. If we were able to simply swap lenses, that would be fine but that's not the case.
This! Those are great ideas, Andrew!

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
So, clear comes standard?
It seems as if it does. I secretly have been hoping for a long time that they would not be able to get DOT approval, or, of they did, to at least give the clear only as an option. Then when the order guide came out, it did not list any tail lights as options, so, at that point, I was reduced to hoping that the DOT approval would not come through. It did. Oh well.

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots of Z06 taillight questions and ideas here..., so a few clarifications/answers.

Yes, all Z06's will have a clear ("neutral density") brake light lens.

There is 0% possibility that GM's will change the clear lenses on the Z06 (that question was raised today, and politely, the person who raised it was told that clear Z06 brake light lenses will be the only way Z06's are sold). Find a StingRay person to trade with, for I have seen many StingRay folks who are already drooling over the Z06's clear lenses. Maybe we will have a "taillight exchange thread" when the Z06's start arriving in customer hands.

The closest thing Z06 owners will get, to show a police officer that the clear brake light lens is DOT legal, will be two sentences in the Z06 owners' manual. I plan on copying that section, placing it in my glove box, readily accessible if/when stopped.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just remember when swapping, the year of production is stamped in the lens.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
All Corvette tail light lenses also have the word DOT and the section the lenses adhere to stamped on the inside. I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to carry proof, are the police around you that bored?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.