Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone here besides me a little concerned about the run flat 335 25 20 tires? Obviously I'm concerned about the 25, not the 335. I've had 305.30 19 tires in the past but none with 25 and not a run flat..
Unfortunately, there are quite a few potholes etc in the northeast so the ultra low profile run flat tires might be a problem for some of us, especially at $400-$500 each. There's also the likelihood to damage a rim(s).

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi Andrew-NY:
Ya I have conserns, but what can you do? You just have to be dilligent in your observations of the road surface and be prepared to replace them at about 20 to 25,000 miles regardless. They are soft compound performance tires and do not last. I had them on my ZR! and that was my experience with them.

regards:
STUNG:cool:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andrew-NY:
Ya I have conserns, but what can you do? You just have to be dilligent in your observations of the road surface and be prepared to replace them at about 20 to 25,000 miles regardless. They are soft compound performance tires and do not last. I had them on my ZR! and that was my experience with them.

regards:
STUNG:cool:
Of course, you're right. Just have to be as careful as possible and conscious of road conditions. On your ZR, were they also run flat tires?

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Andrew, you are correct that people could damage rims in cases where a smaller rim/larger tire wall height would be okay.

I, too, hate potholes.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm going to need to be way more careful...on our trip to Carlisle and back (maybe 600 miles) we probably hit a dozen not so nice potholes! Thank you Pennsylvania and New York!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Another concern with ZO6 tires is going to me mileage lifespan. They had to compromise wearability for traction. The tire compound is very soft / sticky in order to get grip for the massive torque. I would not expect for than a few thousand miles of use and that's if you control the launch (like that's going to happen!). An East Coast to West Coast trip is not going to start and end on the same set of tires would be my guess. ZO7 carbon ceramic brakes should be another concern. Unless you go to a Chevy dealership (should you have a flat or some tire / wheel / brake issue) most places won't touch a CCB as they are easily chipped and who wants to risk that liability to change a tire or whatever.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm going to need to be way more careful...on our trip to Carlisle and back (maybe 600 miles) we probably hit a dozen not so nice potholes! Thank you Pennsylvania and New York!
Lived in both states for decades. If last winters craters are still around...oy!

·
18,669 Posts
Believe the mileage we can expect from Z06 tires, on average, will be about 15,000 miles (no track use), though those who do lots of long distance miles can hope for 20-25K miles. (The chief Michelin tire engineer who was part of the team to develop tires for the StingRay, said that they will warranty, with proper treatment of course, 15,000 miles tread wear on the StingRay's Z-51 tires, 30,000 on non Z-51's.)

Cup 2's, well, still waiting for anyone to report better than 8,000 miles (even without any track usage). We also need to realize that the Z06 weighs approximately 200 more pounds than the ZR1. Hope someone will post on this thread that they got over 8,000 miles on their Cup 2's.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Made the same trip on the same roads loved all the construction. Already had to replace a run flat tire on my caddy because of a pot hole.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Made the same trip on the same roads loved all the construction. Already had to replace a run flat tire on my caddy because of a pot hole.
We probably lost well over an hour to construction on the trip to Carlisle. The return, for some reason, not so much.

·
18,669 Posts
Great mileage news for Michelin Cup 2 tires. Been asking for anyone to report back that they got over 8,000 miles on their Cup 2 tires (previous highest reported mileage obtained from those tires). While no one previously posted a greater amount, yesterday talked with Harlan Charles and Kirk Bennion at the end of their combined C7 walkaround presentation, and both said that they had gotten 14,000 miles on their Cup 2's on their 2011 Z06, carbon/Z07 edition. Both added that they had not done any tracking in them, that a lot was interstate, but still positive news, especially for anyone considering doing Museum Delivery who worried that just the trip home would eat up their new tires. Even when factoring in the greater weight of the C7 Z07 compared to what they drove, probably 13,000 mileage estimate for long-distance/non-track use for Michelin Cup 2's is a huge improvement over previous reports.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Of course, you're right. Just have to be as careful as possible and conscious of road conditions. On your ZR, were they also run flat tires?
Both ZR1s and the '13 427 convertibles, of which I have one, had the same size tires, 285/30x19 and 335/25x20 PS2s in a zero-pressure (run flat) version, with PS Cup run flats optional. As mentioned, tire life is not bad, but the Cup tires, which will come with the Z07 package are a higher performance/ lower tread life version. They are basically street-legal race tires. Tirerack calls them "street-able track & competition" tires.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you get a ZO7 then the tires wearing out fast is a given. Not uncommon to go through a set of tires in a weekend. We would use a new set for qualifying then switch to a new set for the race. Realize how much mass is being moved, load transfer in turns and braking as well as excess tire temps. All factors in tire wear. Chevy working in conjunction with Michelin had to sacrifice wear for grip.

I would think these tires are equivalent to a R15 - R20 compound, very soft. We usually ran R25 or R35. If we ran R25 they were good for a 20 minute session and a second session if we didn't push the car. Granted our cars turn 2 - 3 G's so loads are tremendous. Moving to the R35 would allow is to get up to 33 heat cycles, that's the key, heat cycles more than mileage. The expansion and contraction from heating up and cooling down is what makes the tire fatigue. Mind you we ran full slicks so there was no tread it was all a matter of feel.

Running a harder tire R35 did not make much difference in overall lap times so that being the case, the ZO7 tires might be overkill, especially for most weekend warriors. The extra grip may be a safety cushion that was built in for the novice driver to keep from an oversteer condition which usually leads to a mess.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Reactions: tmcternan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Also, I'm not sure I'm reading it correctly, but since both tires are the ZP version, it looks like the Super Sport has a 15,000 mile treadwear warranty whereas the Pilot Cup 2 only has a basic materials and workmanship warranty and no treadwear warranty. Not surprising since the track tires are expected to wear faster, but hey, it's all useful information.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Having had tires similar to the ones on the Z06 or Z07 for that matter I cannot tell you how much I dislike the run flats. They are noisy and produce a jarring ride. The high performance summer tires are also like ice cube as you approach freezing outside temperatures. The Z07 are also not suitable for moderate to heavy rain conditions and are strictly for dry track performance. For all of these reasons I am ordering a second set of wheels for high performance all season tires. I will likey need to go with a narrower back tire but it will not be a problem on the street where you can't stay legal and even use half of the Z06's performance capability.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Having had tires similar to the ones on the Z06 or Z07 for that matter I cannot tell you how much I dislike the run flats. They are noisy and produce a jarring ride. The high performance summer tires are also like ice cube as you approach freezing outside temperatures. The Z07 are also not suitable for moderate to heavy rain conditions and are strictly for dry track performance. For all of these reasons I am ordering a second set of wheels for high performance all season tires. I will likey need to go with a narrower back tire but it will not be a problem on the street where you can't stay legal and even use half of the Z06's performance capability.
I have to agree I hate run flats as well. Other than the Corvette my next everyday car will not have these or I won't buy it. I've already had to replace a run flat on my caddy from just hitting a pothole.

·
18,669 Posts
Not loving run flats is common, and understandable when we are talking about pre-2014 StingRay run flats, which were harsh riding, sacrificed handling and weighed 2-3 pounds more per tire. The 2014 Michelin run flats still have a weight penalty, but less than one pound per tire, have much less of a handling penalty -- perhaps even neutral in some cases, and have less of a harsh-riding penalty. Still not as desirable as an otherwise-identical non run flat, but having had a flat, on two occasions, at night, in a part of town where I did not want to stop even if I had had an assault rifle with me, I will personally be glad my C7 will come with run flats.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I have to admit, my knowledge of run flats can be summed up as nil.... I always figured it was some kind of a gimmick. Frankly, I haven't experienced a flat tire in years so it hasn't really been an issue. The harshness in ride quality and the noise is the main factor I'm concerned with as there's a tremendous amount of road noise, which has begun to bother me more lately with my 370Z. I favor traction over longevity, particularly with this new Z06 that's coming. As far as the road noise and harshness is concerned, I've come to the conclusion it's all the result of the newer profiles with the tire and wheel combinations out today. At this point I'm assuming it's the profile and thread designs more than whether it's run flat's or non-run flats. If there's something to this, by all means, please share.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would really enjoy seeing a picture of the Cup 2 tires on other Z07 packaged Z06's. Several pics of the tires I've seen on this site appear to have much less tread than the Michelin website shows. Much appreciation in advance. Thank you.

For example:
Cup 2 pic.jpg

I know this is a pristine image but several of the pics appear to have much of the tread gone. And that should not be. Especially since the rear Cup 2's run $750.00 a piece.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts