Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a set of chrome wheels from a 2015 Z06 with steel rotors work on a 2017 Z06 with carbon ceramic rotors?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I keep hearing and reading that it is just the Z06 style wheels that have the cracking problem. I've not had any problems with my Z51 chrome rims.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the painted Z06 wheels on my 17 Grand Sport. They have been on my car for the last 2 yrs. Beautiful wheels, and I've not had any problems with them. No regrets.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As a Corvette master technician, at a dealer that sells over 20 Corvettes a month. I've never seen a bent or damaged wheel that wasn't caused by impact. These cars will not take pothole damage like some will it's not a truck it's a Corvette
VAVETTEMASTER, are you seeing this with all the Corvette rims styles or has there been one more prone to this damage? Could part of the problem be the low profile run flat tires?

PA state roads are generally crap and many locally owned roads are not much better. There are some streets near me we have nicknamed the moon because of all the craters. I've learned to either avoid roads like this completely or going quite a bit slower while dodging the craters and potholes in all my cars. With the low profile tires on my C7, I'm even more careful because there is not much tire cushion between your rims and the road.

·
Registered
97 Posts
24,000 miles on my 2017 GS CE and have had 1 bent front wheel and 2 cracked rear wheels! 6 Corvettes and never any problems like this. GM says "too bad" ... it's my driving style and their 36 month 36,000 mile bumper to bumper does not cover wheels!!!!! I've lost confidence in GM!!!!

I certainly hope the C8 has better wheels!

Class Action pending .

·
Registered
836 Posts
19,000 miles so far on original tires and as far as I know I do not have a problem with bent or cracked wheels, as I have not had any air loss issues and can't see anything wrong with the wheels. I plan to get new tires this fall and will have the wheel examined closely, so we'll see. I have hit some potholes over the past three years but not a huge number so I am hopeful.--Bob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wheels - Class Action - Status?

There may be a "PENDING" action but I've heard nothing about it actually being filed. I have copies of the litigation but there is no indication of it being filed anywhere. (Clerk's Stamp)
I wrote to the law firm involved but never got a reply.

Anyone have any updates? I've had serious problems with cracks and bending.

One final note: In these "class action" suites, typically the attorneys get a large portion of the money not the plaintiffs!!! :sour:

·
Registered
97 Posts
No cracks until I changed tires at 24,000 miles. Then a bent front and cracks in both rears with leaks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No one would ever believe it wasn't caused by impact. The question is, why only the Z06 and grand Sport. Do you actually think only Z06 and grand Sport owners hit ruts in the road or pot holes?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The only UNFORTUNATE fact is the attorney will get 99.5% and the actual victims will get squat!
Class Action suits have become the folly of the industry. GM loses, victims lose, attorneys win [big].

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I posted on another thread that i know have all 4 wheels that are “bent”. I just switched to the Michelin AS3 + and in the process, Discount Tire determined all 4 were bent. It’s at the Dealer for a Transmission flush and they are going to look at the wheels too. I am not optimistic. I bent one last year in a pothole and it eventually cracked. Would not cover it under warranty. These Wheels are Cast Aluminum and the low profile, wide tires don't do well. Most all of my driving is on good roads here in Texas. Expensive to replace the OEM wheels.
No one would ever believe it wasn't caused by impact. The question is, why only the Z06 and grand Sport. Do you actually think only Z06 and grand Sport owners hit ruts in the road or pot holes?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts