Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got the chance to take my 2014 VY Z51 to VIR last weekend and I loved every minute of it! I am thinking of trading it for a Z06 with Z07 package. I like to drive my stingray to work etc a few times a week when the weather is cooperating. I am curious about the ability of a Z06 to be a daily driver both with and without the Z07 track package? Thoughts? what happens if I get caught in the rain are those tires like drag slicks?

Thanks,
Dom

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
IMO a Z06 is not meant to be a DD, it is a toy car to be driven fast on the track.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
307 Posts
This question has been asked and answered in a previous thread... It's an excellent question. The Z07 package is optimized for the track - not to be a comfortable grand tourer. I think you really only want to select the Z07 package if this is your dedicated track car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
shouldn't the mag ride make it a comfortable DD? I don't have a corvette yet and am not up to speed on this issue.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Just another impressive thread on this Forum. Dom has gotta be happy with the information. Its great you can ask here and get people that know. I know I have used this service alot.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'd do it if I could afford the Z07. I've had my Z51 on the track three times and I love the car also. I'd make the Z07 work as a DD. The wife may not like the ride. It will also come down to the cost of running the Z07 on the track. After three days my rubber is looking worn. (Once I do the alignment the tires will last a bit longer.) The Z07 rubber and brakes will be even more expensive to replace. Plus, it's going to burn more fuel then the Z51 also. It'll all add up over a year of running the car. (See how I'm trying to talk myself out of the idea?)

·
18,670 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
And this thread.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/2015-corvette-z06/6041-z06-daily-driver.html

And this post please:

Z07 as a daily driver? Not so fast!
A warning for the waxers: looks like the Z07 will be a rough ride, having significantly stiffer shocks, stiffer spring rates, stiffer bushings, stiffer sway bar (so a bump on one tire will be felt on the others), and stiffer MRC settings (even in touring mode). The chief Z06 designer, Kirk Benion, stated that "I would not want to take an eight hour ride in a Z07," that the cars are made for the "track enthusiast" and after a 20-minute ride in a Z07, it was harsh enough for the main chassis engineer to exchange it for a stage 1 for a 120-mile ride.

The following is a post I earlier made on this identical issue.

"Had the privilege of meeting one to one with Alex MacDonald, Z06 Chassis Controls Performance Engineer. Alex noted that the final specifications for the Z06 components of suspension components are not finalized as of this time, that testing and chassis/suspension development continues.

He mentioned that the spring rates are much firmer for the Z07 then the other two stages, and that because the spring rates are significantly firmer, that the MSRC shocks must similarly be firmer to compensate. He added that the shocks are firmer in not just sport and track modes, as we heard previously, but also in the touring mode, i.e., even in the touring mode, you need stiffer shocks to modulate and control the stronger forces brought about by having stiffer Z07 Springs. He also confirmed that Jim Mero, Chief Z06 performance driver, continues to test/refine the car, including testing whether the Z07 will also have stiffer/larger sway bars -- which is actively being considered for that version at this time. As of today that decision is still under full consideration, neither adopted, nor rejected. Once Jim finalizes the sway bar decision, he will then determine whether or not the bushings for the sway bars will also be stiffer. Alex stated that there are at least six different sway bar bushings (with different degrees of firmness) that will be considered. Lastly, the MSRC will be calibrated on the Z07 version. (Of course, parallel development continues on the stage 1/2 version.)

Alex volunteered his personal experience driving a Z07 around Detroit, first emphasizing, as we all know, that the streets around the Detroit area are a challenge, sometimes pothole ridden. He and his wife went for a 20 mile Z07, "local ride" that ride changed their subsequent weekend plans, for they had planned to take the Z07 a couple of days later on a 120 mile weekend trip, but after the local 20 mile local trip, he exchanged it for a stage 1 Z06 for the 120 mile weekend ride.

Testing and development and refinement of the Z06 (all versions) continues, and further changes could occur, but none, in Alex's opinion, are going to change the essential nature of the Z07 version as one both designed for the track AND one he personally would not want to drive as a daily driver."
Alex made it clear this was not his wife's decision, but his -- to exchange the Z07 for a stage 1 Z06 for his weekend ride. And let us all please remember that Alex MacDonald earns his living as a Corvette performance test driver, that, and I know many of your remember this, it was he who was in the GM "Z06 teaser video" last December, wearing a helmet racing at Milford Proving Ground -- where he works full time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok so I got the chance to take my 2014 VY Z51 to VIR last weekend and I loved every minute of it! I am thinking of trading it for a Z06 with Z07 package. I like to drive my stingray to work etc a few times a week when the weather is cooperating. I am curious about the ability of a Z06 to be a daily driver both with and without the Z07 track package? Thoughts? what happens if I get caught in the rain are those tires like drag slicks?

Thanks,
Dom
If you get caught in the rain, I'd suggest pull over and stop driving. Drag radials, 650 hp, and wet roads are a very dangerous combo.
In 2009, I totaled my Callaway C6 with drag radials by driving while the roads were still wet after it stopped raining. Thank god nobody was seriously hurt.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
If you get caught in the rain, I'd suggest pull over and stop driving. Drag radials, 650 hp, and wet roads are a very dangerous combo.
In 2009, I totaled my Callaway C6 with drag radials by driving while the roads were still wet after it stopped raining. Thank god nobody was seriously hurt.
Pilot sport cups aren't drag radials and can handle damp roads, just not pooled water as they don't have the ability to evacuate the water fast enough. It's also unclear whether the version of the pilot sport cups will be the sport cup 2 (wear rating 180) or the sport cup ZP (wear rating 80).

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dealer spent most of week in Dallas with Corvette engineers and other dealers. I asked him to find out if the Z07 is okay as a daily driver or to take on short trips. He told me he spoke to a lot of engineers with seat time in the Z07. I think he summed it up best when he said: "The Z07 is a track car that can be driven on the street. If you don't mind a very stiff ride on the street and on trips then get it."

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Folks thanks for all the info so z06 WITHOUT Z07 package is a reasonable daily driver???!

·
18,670 Posts
Folks thanks for all the info so z06 WITHOUT Z07 package is a reasonable daily driver???
I believe, for no one outside of GM has driven one, that it will make a firm-ride daily driver. With its standard MSRP, it will also make a great firm-ride long distance cruiser.

Two caveats/cautions. With its low profile tires/wheels, they can become a pothole-casualty, especially for those who live in really bad road areas; and, second, if equipped with one of the aero packages, splitter and/or the skirts can become damaged.

Will be driving ours lots of places, including long distance trips, for we like a firm-ride sports car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe, for no one outside of GM has driven one, that it will make a firm-ride daily driver. With its standard MSRP, it will also make a great firm-ride long distance cruiser.

Two caveats/cautions. With its low profile tires/wheels, they can become a pothole-casualty, especially for those who live in really bad road areas; and, second, if equipped with one of the aero packages, splitter and/or the skirts can become damaged.

Will be driving ours lots of places, including long distance trips, for we like a firm-ride sports car.

It will be a great daily driver. I had a 2007 Z06 without the MSRP which I drove on a daily basis except when the snow files. It had a firm ride but we didn't mind taking it on the whole Route 66.

I now have a ZR1 which is also a daily driver. I don't think the aero package will be a problem. It hasn't caused me a problem in the 5 years I have been driving the ZR1.

Go for it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts