Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's pretend I'm spec'g a 2019 Z06 because among other things, I want a new front engine manual Corvette for the next few years :wink:

I may go to the track but it would be a rare occasion (haven't done so yet). If I keep this car for say 3-5 years or 30K+ miles, am I likely to need brakes and be a very sad puppy due to high cost of replacement? Assuming little or no track time, what is the expected life of these brakes? (I know this is hard to say but roughly speaking)

What's driving my question here is the Z07 package. It seems like that gives me a different suspension setup (CCR's, Mag Ride, Sport Cup 2s and the Spoiler bridge). Is this Mag Ride different than the standard Mag Ride? If not, I would be happy with iron rotors and buying the spoiler bridge as an accessory.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. tried to post in Purchasing but for some reason, could not stay signed in while on that forum page.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the Z07 pkg on my Z06, and I love it. For the occasional track day, these rotors will last a long time. For normal street use, the rotors should outlast the car. The biggest problem with the CCB rotors is heat dissipation. Between 2016 and 2017, Chevrolet added an additional cooling duct for the front rotors, which attaches to the lower control arm.

As for the suspension pkg on the Z07, I believe the calibration is different over the standard Z06. If you look at the suspension, the Z07 code is FE7, versus the standard FE6, and the part numbers are different as well...there may be a minor difference with the sway bar as well, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Is this Mag Ride different than the standard Mag Ride?
Yes, the Z07 has a different Mag Ride compared to the Z06.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Grand Sport is the better deal with respect to all the racing bits, and you don't get any overheating as a result. The Z06 overheats on the track when the ambient temps are about 85. I don't think they fixed this and it was on the manual and the auto. The 07 option brakes will last you a long time. I have 20k miles on my 16 Z06 with negligible wear. The sensor wire that is on the brakes though was mounted incorrectly on mine and either wore through or became grounded, because I got a warning light saying that the brakes were almost worn out. No noticeable wear though with normal driving except for those 3 short track days.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have never had an overheat on our 2016 Z06 with the Z07 option. We work this car HARD although low miles. Have added an additional supercharger reservoir. The car works very very well. As for the carbon ceramic brakes, you can’t beat it. Plus, no brake dust whatsoever. Rodney is absolutely correct, as always, on the 07 option. He actually educated me on what my suspension update would do to the car. Thanks as always Rodney.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Grand Sport is the better deal with respect to all the racing bits, and you don't get any overheating as a result. The Z06 overheats on the track when the ambient temps are about 85. I don't think they fixed this and it was on the manual and the auto. The 07 option brakes will last you a long time. I have 20k miles on my 16 Z06 with negligible wear. The sensor wire that is on the brakes though was mounted incorrectly on mine and either wore through or became grounded, because I got a warning light saying that the brakes were almost worn out. No noticeable wear though with normal driving except for those 3 short track days.
The overheating problem was fixed on the 2017+ manual Corvettes. Still occurs on the auto though it was improved.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
31,000 miles on my base Stingray, including several days at tracks doing hot laps (not racing, but fast). The stock brakes are still fine. You won't wear out the steel discs in 30,000 miles over several years. There may be other reasons to choose the Z07 package, but brake wear really isn't one of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 CPO with Z07 package. Brakes were squealing so brought them to Chevy dealer and was told - that's just the way they are - they're fine. So long as I know they're OK I am cool but putting around town it sounds like I'm driving an old school bus.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I recently bought a 2015 CPO with Z07 package. Brakes were squealing so brought them to Chevy dealer and was told - that's just the way they are - they're fine. So long as I know they're OK I am cool but putting around town it sounds like I'm driving an old school bus.
You really need to use them harder once in a while... I'm convinced that light braking is the problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since the thread popped up, it’s no longer pretend and I opted against Z07 package but got pretty much everything else. Just shy of 500 miles in the first week and first service scheduled for Monday. Keeping it out if the red for now but wow, fun times ahead.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Joe, I’m in South Windsor where in CT are you? You’ll hear me coming by my squeaky brakes ��
Burnish them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the Z07 package with the Carbon Ceramic rotors and I have to admit, the stopping power is awesome. If you are not careful, you will bang up your knees and get thrown forward. I don't track my car or drive it erratically. The over heat issue has not been a concern for me personally because I never had it. Back when my car was about 11 months old, the brake light came on and I felt a pulsing on the right front rotor. GM replace the rotors and pads no questions asked. Since then, there have been no issues and I don't get brake dust.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Joe, I’m in South Windsor where in CT are you? You’ll hear me coming by my squeaky brakes 😂
Ha! I’ll keep my ears open. I’m down by Southbury. Do you ever get over to Marks Classic cruise in East Granby? Corvette night coming soon July 22nd. Should see 300+ corvettes in addition to another 500 various cars. It’s a good time. https://www.markscruisenight.com/

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ha! I’ll keep my ears open. I’m down by Southbury. Do you ever get over to Marks Classic cruise in East Granby? Corvette night coming soon July 22nd. Should see 300+ corvettes in addition to another 500 various cars. It’s a good time. https://www.markscruisenight.com/
I've only owned a Vette 1 month. I also have (soon to be sold) a Jaguar XF-R and was a regular at local shows with that. I'll check out Mark's!!! My former colleague lives in Southbury - he just left the company last month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts