Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a base 2LT vert and I am thinking of searching out some used take off Z51 wheels for it which of course will upgrade the sizes and I will then get the newest Michelin S/S tires for it. Being a Night Race Blue car I would like to have the wheels refinished in a light comp gray color which I think will look great.
My question is whether these wheels have the same crack/ bend issues as the Z06 or GS wheels in the same size even though they are narrower? Some are blaming the tires as part of the problem with low and stiff sidewalls. I have not heard of issues with the Z51 wheels but I want to make sure before I go that route.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Any low profile wheel / tire combo is going to be more susceptible to damage from potholes than taller profile combos, but I've not heard of any history of issues with the Z51 wheels. The lawsuits, I believe, are all regarding the Z06 / GS wheels.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have Z51 rims and both the left rims got bent. Probably from a chuck hole. $150 each rim to get "unbent". This is the single Stingray item I'm sorry I ordered. I would much rather have the stock rims and tires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually like the 18/19 setup. It’s just that the base wheels are boring and I don’t see a lot of options out there for the base size setup, which is the only reason I have been looking at Z51 rims.

·
Administrator
15,034 Posts
I actually like the 18/19 setup. It’s just that the base wheels are boring and I don’t see a lot of options out there for the base size setup, which is the only reason I have been looking at Z51 rims.
You could always have your base wheels powder coated in a way that you find interesting.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am not aware of the same issue related to the GS and Z06 but to meyerweb and tlippy's points both of my driver side wheels were bent in a pothole event on the interstate. Blew out the side wall of front tire at the same time so it was quite a hit. I had one other event on a track in the early days of ownership I was certain would have caused damage but to my surprise no problem ever came of that.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Have two sets. Both OEM off 2015 Z51 cars one in chrome and one in the stock grey. No issue with bent or cracked wheels, either set...

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
ANY wheel, especially one mounted with low profile tires, can be damaged by a big pothole. But the Z51 wheels don't seem to have near the frequency of issues the Z06 and GS wheels do. The class action suit doesn't include Z51s.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have Z51 rims and both the left rims got bent. Probably from a chuck hole. $150 each rim to get "unbent". This is the single Stingray item I'm sorry I ordered. I would much rather have the stock rims and tires.
Tlippy, that's a pretty good price. My wife has a Chrysler 300 S and she had the same problem with much beefier tires than my Z51. She also has to have her rims "unbent" for about $100 a rim. Much cheaper than replacing the rims completely that's for sure. Mechanic says he sees that a lot because most pot holes in the road are on the right side of the road. She tries to hit them I think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts