Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen much mention of Zaino products here which surprises me. I started using Zaino back in '98 when I purchased a 930 with high mileage and wanted to rejuvenate the paint. The products worked amazingly well on that and again on my '03 Boxster but it fell out of favor with me when I applied it to my wife's black '08 GTI and had a lot of issues with streaking. Since then I haven't used it. I went with more off the shelf products like Mcguires but haven't been terribly satisfied.

While I haven't taken delivery of a C7 yet I do want to touch up the finish on the Boxster before I put it up for sale and do something with my black '14 Silverado and was considering going back to Zaino now that they have the ZFX accelerator which I believe would resolve the issues I had with black.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of discussion about professional products and applications but no mention of Zaino which is odd considering the Corvette community was one of the largest adopters of the product a decade ago.

Thoughts, comments?

Future Stingray Owner
Current Rides:
2012 Jeep SRT8
2013 Porsche Boxster S
2012 VW CC

·
Registered
680 Posts
Zaino for regular cleaning or long lasting protection?

Several of the guys in my local Corvette group have shared how it's important to stay away from chemical cleaners. They recommended to me a mild wash... I've been using just a little bit of this with lots of water and microfiber auto clothes to wash and dry http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17748-ultimate-wash-wax/). With the Clear Bra (lasting 5 - 7 years) and the CQuartz Finest (lasting approximately 5 years per application), I don't feel I will need to clean it often... other than using a water and a microfiber cloth. She's garage kept, so the elements won't be as severe with this added protection.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zaino is a protectant / sealant not a chemical cleaner. Very similar to products like opticlear, blackfire, etc.

Obviously with the applications you have you don't need anything else. This is targeted for those who plan on detailing their car themselves and don't have a pro available to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

Reactions: YllwStgr

·
Administrator
16,281 Posts
RedHot (lots of pictures elsewhere on forum) got her Zaino Clear Seal put on last week. I did it over a coat of P21S (waited a couple of days). It looks absolutely fantastic. I have found that using the bare minimum and working it in is the best way to use Zaino. Typically that results in a perfect ultra high shine without any streaks. Once in a while in prior applications (on my Porsche for example) I would find an area or two after the next day following the application, that needed a very light buff with a microfiber to remove a streak. I am pretty sure the streak resulted from a titch too much Zaino on that spot.

P1060087.jpg

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks great. Any reason you decided to use another product as a base instead of Z2?

Future Stingray Owner
Current Rides:
2012 Jeep SRT8
2013 Porsche Boxster S
2012 VW CC

·
Administrator
16,281 Posts
That looks great. Any reason you decided to use another product as a base instead of Z2?

Future Stingray Owner
Current Rides:
2012 Jeep SRT8
2013 Porsche Boxster S
2012 VW CC
Thanks. I like using the P21S, had very good success with it on my Porsche. Easy to apply and buff by hand. :cool:

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
RedHot (lots of pictures elsewhere on forum) got her Zaino Clear Seal put on last week. I did it over a coat of P21S (waited a couple of days). It looks absolutely fantastic. I have found that using the bare minimum and working it in is the best way to use Zaino. Typically that results in a perfect ultra high shine without any streaks. Once in a while in prior applications (on my Porsche for example) I would find an area or two after the next day following the application, that needed a very light buff with a microfiber to remove a streak. I am pretty sure the streak resulted from a titch too much Zaino on that spot.
Car looks awesome!

One observation/suggestion... P21S being a carnauba wax, and Zaino Clear Seal being a sealant, the Z:CS is going to be the more durable of the two. By applying it on top of the wax, you're preventing it from bonding directly with the paint on the vehicle; this will lead to significantly reduced durability (as the wax wears away, the sealant will go away with it).

You might want to try reversing the order of your process, applying the sealant first and then topping with the wax... should give you better/more durable results. ;)

·
Administrator
16,281 Posts
thank you for the suggestion Charlie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts