Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you gentlemen recommend on having a new c7 rustproofed from Zierbart. I know when I was a new car porter for ford all the high end cobras would have this done and I would have to detail the engine compartment and underbody to remove the overspray.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Zeibart just flat does not work, I worked at a dealership in the early 80's and they applied Zeibart, and almost every vehicle I saw 10 years later had rust round every single hole they drilled into it to apply the stuff. You are way better to just make sure you wash your car thoroughly. Keep the undercarriage clean.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Exactly what on the C7 is going to rust? The aluminum frame, the fiberglass/composite panels? Sorry total waste of money plus don't cars still come with like 100,000 mile rust policy?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Exactly what on the C7 is going to rust? The stainless steel frame, the fiberglass/composite panels? Sorry total waste of money plus don't cars still come with like 100,000 mile rust policy?
Except that the frame is aluminum not stainless.

Reactions: akpancake

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Ziebart may have had a purpose 40 years ago before manufacturers started using coated steel but it's a total waste of time and money on any car newer than 1980. Run, do not walk from anyone suggesting this be applied to anything modern.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: akpancake

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Exactly what on the C7 is going to rust? The aluminum frame, the fiberglass/composite panels? Sorry total waste of money plus don't cars still come with like 100,000 mile rust policy?
I think it's 80,000 mile corrosion coverage, but regardless like you said there's nothing on a Corvette anymore that will ever rust; even on an older one the frame was the only rust concern. There is absolutely no reason to use Ziebart's services on these cars.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Ok here I found it:

"GM vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended."

·
Registered
817 Posts
They must not see Wisconsin vehicles......road salt eats them alive in a few years! Well maybe not that bad.
Road salt eats motor vehicles in upstate New York also. Big time.

Even so, I have given up on the typical high viscosity "rust proofing" such as Ziebart. On Corvettes, I have never used anything...I never drove them on salty roads.

On my current Suburban I have been getting a yearly application of Krowne rustproofing. It is popular in Canada, and recently opened up at least on shop in the USA (Utica, New York). At the 5 year mark, I am very pleased.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
Have to agree. Ziebart has never protected all (has helped quite a bit) and the C7 has very little that can corrode form salt.
Thought I remembered correctly, this is the GM statement about added rustproofing: "GM vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for a minimum of 6 years/100,000 miles (whichever comes first). Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended.”
GM dip coats the C7 aluminum frame with a corrosion protection product. I believe if there is a problem and there is any other coating applied, GM will not honor their warrantee!
35 years ago I recall having my 260Z done by Ziebart-even though I did not use the car in the winter the bottom of the front fender rusted! In North East Ohio the roads have salt residual in May! I had my winter vehicle, a CJ-5 Jeep, undercoated about every other year. The floor pan rusted out from the salt water it trapped! Manufacturers have used coated steel and special extra coatings on the bottom of steel doors, inside and out, for years. That is why they can offer a rust warrantee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts