Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At first I was going with the Z07 option , but now I am having second thoughts when I heard that the ride was very harsh and would not be comfortable for long trips.
Has anyone been able to confirm this, any factory engineers read this?
Thanks

·
Registered
873 Posts
At first I was going with the Z07 option , but now I am having second thoughts when I heard that the ride was very harsh and would not be comfortable for long trips.
Thanks
Not to mention one coast to coast trip would probably wear out the PS2 Cup tires.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I spoke separately with Kirk Bennion, Harlan Charles, and Chuck Valentine (all Corvette Team members) at Corvettes at Carlisle today about that very issue. I came away feeling better about the Z07 for street use than I did before. Now I have come full circle!

First, paraphrasing all three gentlemen, they basically said the carbon ceramic brakes in the Z07 package are somewhere between not necessary and total overkill for street use. They all felt the steel Z06 brakes were REALLY good brakes. No one said the CCBs where a bad choice for the street, but a very pricy way to replace the steel brakes that are a seriously good brake in their own right.

As for ride quality of the Z07, to paraphrase what I heard is that yes, the Z07 is calibrated differently, but that when Mag-Ride is in touring mode it is not horrible on the street. It is more stiff than the base Z06, but not crazy stiff in tour mode. Basically paraphrasing Harlan, the Z07 rides like someone should expect that sort of car to ride. It's not a Cadillac. (I'm paraphrasing folks, so don't translate any of what I'm sharing as quotes from any 3 of these gentlemen.)

I asked Kirk particularly about a quote attributed to him saying he would not want to drive a Z07 for a long 60 mph trip (or whatever it was exactly.) Many of us speculated this was because of ride quality. Kirk said not really so...his main reason for making that statement was FUEL MILEAGE...the stage 3 aero is NOT the hot ticket for fuel conservation.

BTW, John asked me to inquire about a rumor that level 1 aero would not have the spats. Chuck told me all 3 levels of Z06/07 aero WILL have spats. As for some splitters being exposed carbon fiber, the winglets basically carbon flash (ish), and the spats being a third shade/texture, Chuck said that IS the way it will be in production.

I will be at Carlisle Saturday, and likely Sunday. If you have specific questions, I'll try to keep in touch with this forum and will field your questions at the show the best I can. My ability to read the forum on this trip is mostly limited to after dinner. I do the best I can for you folks. :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks

There is really no need for the Z07 package unless you plan to track the car. If that is the case then the added stiffness in the suspension, the brakes and the cup tires will be a benefit. If not...forget it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
There is really no need for the Z07 package unless you plan to track the car. If that is the case then the added stiffness in the suspension, the brakes and the cup tires will be a benefit. If not...forget it.
I think you are absolutely correct. Need vs. want is a big problem for me however. I have sought medical help and have been told I am a lost cause. So...

·
18,670 Posts
Thanks LT1XL82 for asking those exact questions.

How excited are folks about buying a car whose ride is not horrible for most of your not track driving -- even when in the touring setting. If you are still excited about that ride for your use, go for it!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think you are absolutely correct. Need vs. want is a big problem for me however. I have sought medical help and have been told I am a lost cause. So...
lol....

Advertising lingo gets a lot of people. By connotation Z07 on the surface of it seems like it should be a better, higher, top quality car compared to a base Z06?
You will be able to tell people that you have a Z07! not a base Z06....must be better huh? ....... NOT

If you told these same people that you have the Z06 with the Track Package, how would that come across...stares! since you don't track the car....silly.
So, one has to pass over such terminology and go to the root of what that Z07 package actually is and does for the car. If it is important then it gets included.

So, instead of seeing "Z07 Package": +$8000.........try seeing "Track Package": +$8000

·
Registered
98 Posts
As for some splitters being exposed carbon fiber, the winglets basically carbon flash (ish), and the spats being a third shade/texture, Chuck said that IS the way it will be in production.

I will be at Carlisle Saturday, and likely Sunday. If you have specific questions, I'll try to keep in touch with this forum and will field your questions at the show the best I can. My ability to read the forum on this trip is mostly limited to after dinner. I do the best I can for you folks. :)
But if you order the car with CFZ (carbon fiber painted carbon flash splitter, rockers and presumably rear wing) wouldn't the winglets match the splitter? On all the show cars, it appears that the winglets are painted carbon flash. In that case, only the wheelwell lip/spat would be a different color/texture.
That's how I plan on ordering my car. IMO it'll look better than three different colors/textures and will be far easier to repair and repaint any aero parts that get dinged if they are not exposed carbon fiber.
S.

·
Registered
817 Posts
But if you order the car with CFZ (carbon fiber painted carbon flash splitter, rockers and presumably rear wing) wouldn't the winglets match the splitter? On all the show cars, it appears that the winglets are painted carbon flash. In that case, only the wheelwell lip/spat would be a different color/texture.
That's how I plan on ordering my car. IMO it'll look better than three different colors/textures and will be far easier to repair and repaint any aero parts that get dinged if they are not exposed carbon fiber.
S.
You are correct on all points...the winglets are carbon flash, as are carbon flash aero bits...they match. As for the spats, they don't match either carbon flash or exposed carbon fiber, but they are a better match to carbon flash. I took a couple good photos...will post when I get home. And yep, I'd bet money carbon flash painted carbon fiber or not, would be reasonably easy to repair. I'd guess exposed carbon fiber would be impossible to repair with the matching exposed appearance.

·
18,670 Posts
S.
Good points, and even though I am not getting a Z07, so far we the three different visual appearance pieces (e.g., too many differences). Perhaps, however, this will not be a problem with the production versions of the car, for as of yet, even the show cars have disclaimers about being pre-production models.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You forgot to add in the mandatory ground effects option so you have to add $2995 for Carbon Flash or $3995 for the Carbon Fiber. So that puts the real ZO7 option @ $11,000 or $12,000

lol....

Advertising lingo gets a lot of people. By connotation Z07 on the surface of it seems like it should be a better, higher, top quality car compared to a base Z06?
You will be able to tell people that you have a Z07! not a base Z06....must be better huh? ....... NOT

If you told these same people that you have the Z06 with the Track Package, how would that come across...stares! since you don't track the car....silly.
So, one has to pass over such terminology and go to the root of what that Z07 package actually is and does for the car. If it is important then it gets included.

So, instead of seeing "Z07 Package": +$8000.........try seeing "Track Package": +$8000

·
Registered
817 Posts
You forgot to add in the mandatory ground effects option so you have to add $2995 for Carbon Flash or $3995 for the Carbon Fiber. So that puts the real ZO7 option @ $11,000 or $12,000
I believe you are 100% correct. AND...those ground effects options can be ordered separately without the Z07. So the $8000 Z07 gets you carbon ceramic brakes, Cup tires and the adjustable wicker bill on the rear spoiler along with stiffer suspension calibration. Z07 needs to be purchased with one's eyes wide open! If it meets your needs, GREAT! But realize both the financial costs and the potential aggravation of Cup tires on the street and ride quality. Cups tires stick to pavement well, but wear fast and in no way can be called a good wet tire! And it doesn't stop (pun intended) there, some national tire stores will NOT touch a wheel/tire assembly on a car with carbon ceramic brakes. Kid you not folks, the stores don't want the liability of (easily) chipping and carbon ceramic rotor! They DO chip, and when they do they are considered an expensive piece of junk in need of replacement.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Nice to see (via another Forum) LT1xL82 that you finally made a decision!
Hope the Z07 option works out for you.

·
Registered
873 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nice to see (via another Forum) LT1xL82 that you finally made a decision!
Hope the Z07 option works out for you.
Thanks BOBSZ06. I flip-flopped numerous times before making my final decision. If GM offered parts of the Z07 package a la carte it would of been an easier choice. Somehow I never got the message that they wanted my opinion!

Feedback from Z07 owners on ride quality has been better than one would of expected considering early projections. We'll see!

·
18,670 Posts
Feedback from Z07 owners on ride quality has been better than one would of expected considering early projections.
Absolutely agree with the accuracy of that assessment. However, ever the realist, would one expect otherwise? If folks paid an extra $8,000 for the Z07 option in spite of many who cautioned against it (especially for a daily driver), how many of those individuals would later say publicly in a forum, I screwed up, the ride is rather harsh, wish I had not ordered it. To me, while LT1XL82 has accuracy assessed what owners are reporting, I want to know what those daily driver owners are saying to themselves one year after they received it.

We'll see!
Again, totally agree with Joel's assessment, or to put his words in a very similar context, time will tell.

Do I also concur that the Z07 is beyond spectacular for those who are tracking their car more than a few times a year, especially for those folks who competitively track their car, and that, when used for that primary purpose, it is a superior car to a stage 2 or a stage 1, absolutely!

Have not reached that same conclusion that a Z07 is the right version of a Z06 when used primarily as a daily driver, used to go to car shows, used primarily to be driven around town, and/or used on long trips (or used primarily for a combination of all those things)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I plan to drive my car primarily or perhaps even exclusively on the street and to hopefully enjoy it on trips. Sounds like Z07 is overkill and may even make non track use of car somewhat less pleasant than base car. Would like to hear from some non Z07 drivers of their satisfaction with their cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I plan on my Z06 spending 95% of its life a the track so the Z07 package was worth the $. If it was a street car I wouldn't want the firmer suspension, aero and sticky tires (that won't last many miles).

Most likely I will buy slicks for it but I may stay with the Cup 2's after I try them. If anyone is buying the Z07 package but will switch to more streetable tires let me know. I may be interested in your cup 2's.

JT

·
Registered
258 Posts
I question whether those that order the ZO7 package are going to go to the extra time and expense in changing the suspension back and forth every time they take it out. If they go with the street setting s then they are compromising and really not getting the full performance that the ZO7 package has to provide. If they are not going to make the suspension setting changes to track mode then it would be better to just go with a standard ZO6 and just run in street mode and do better than most cars out there.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts