Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

·
18,662 Posts
Thanks Jag! You told me that that very ZR1 cover was coming, and voila.... And no surprise, when it is revealed in just four days, that it will be our first “full vehicle” shown in Sebring Orange.

In some ways, GM is unpredictable; in others, sifting through the tea leaves often leads one to the very bottom of the cup.

Despite the cover, I am not yet buying that it is 750 HP. I guess 777 or something more than 750 — as GM needs to generate a little more orange splash when it is revealed. BTW, that is Car and Driver’s 750th cover to its mag.

·
18,662 Posts
We now also have the first actual LT5, ZR1 motor pictures. Looks like expected, an LT4 with a bigger supercharger. Here’s comparison pictures (both official, from GM).

LT4:

AD678AE8-4FB8-45D6-B5A3-F15E0B0491D6.jpeg

LT5:

86B99071-8E5A-4174-9E5C-98EB6156F4BE.jpeg

As this is not the rumored twin-stage, twin-turbo, 4.0/4.4L V8 that is under development, guessing that that reveal will be the 2020 ME’s motor (at least in the second/third year ZORA version).

·
Registered
10,225 Posts

·
18,662 Posts
Some mini ZR1 pics (also thanks to Car and Driver).

6957ACCB-B152-43BD-A49A-82F803B6C450.jpeg

So much more to learn and confirm in the next 4 days, including definitive answers to all of the following:

Actual HP & TQ?

Active aero or not?

Are there two track versions (big wing and not)?

Is the convertible available with the big wing?

Is the supercharger now upped to 2.65L as rumored?

In short, getting answers as to which of the many combinations are “package limited” versus which are individually allowed by themselves.

We already know a lot, that there will be a convertible and coupe option;

*That the coupe has a removable top;

*Auto and manual options exist!

Please add whatever else we already know.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sort of ignores the headline to be noticing the color but my impression from the panel shown at Carlisle was that the Sebring Orange was so much "louder" than Daytona Sunset Orange. I always liked DSOM and this makes me reconsider Sebring. Always looks different in person and in different light but man, the Orange is calling me... that and the 750 (+?) ponies. Would be a stark contrast to my NRB. I don't think anyone will say "is something different about your car?" :smilet-digitalpoint

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Jeremy, huge change for the front, more air equals less problems on the track! I'm sure that the General will offer different sized wings, info is still in its raw form. We shall see as more is released.

SF
Rick

·
18,662 Posts
And look what just appeared on Instagram:

Attachments

·
18,662 Posts
Just realized that the “reveal HP” might not be its final, SAE amount. When the C7 Z06 was revealed, Tadge told us that it had “at least 625 HP.” As we all learned later, that was changed to 650 HP. As the ZR1 is not going into production on January 29th when the rest of 2019’s start, but for the ZR1 a while later, maybe we will later hear another upward-revised from the reveal announced amount.

·
18,662 Posts
We have just learned “reported” ZR1 pricing and some specs.

Starting price expected to be around $120k
- 7 speed manual and 8 speed automatic
- 1/2" wider than Z06 front wheels
- Mag Ride standard
- Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- 750hp/680 lb-ft LT5 (6.2L, pushrod V8, Eaton supercharger)
- Supercharger produces 52% more air per RPM than the Z06 blower, also 2.9" taller.
- Because of the hood height, car can not be sold in Europe
- Tadge claims the ZR1 can shoot flames out from its exhaust
- NEW fuel delivery system- BOTH PORT INJECTION AND DIRECT INJECTION
- sub 3 second 0-60, sub 11 second 1/4 mile, 210+ mph top speed
- 4 additional heat exchangers (comparing to Z06) in the nose
- Curb weight 3664 lbs, 140 lbs over Z06
- Several aero packages available, RPO "ZTK" as shown in magazine. Wing has 10 degrees of adjustability, contributing to 500 lbs of downforce at speed.
- Wing is attached behind the hatch and spreads the load to the bumper beam.
- Removable top
- 2.5 seconds faster around VIR than Z06

·
18,662 Posts
Complete, five page Car and driver article here. Including a great picture of its shaker hood! Thanks “ssidekickbp!”

5F8C9937-6EAD-437C-AE87-25282A50448F.jpeg

BDEF1096-7B4A-4225-83FF-FA598EED8E7B.jpeg

089A2662-440C-470D-81CF-7DE0B1C0C43E.jpeg

0819F892-DFC1-43DC-8140-5AE0F66C61A2.jpeg

797944FB-A37B-4082-9512-2CB9B7FEDB3B.jpeg

For those who haven’t yet read the article, some major takeaways:

A low-volume model. What this means is not spelled out; will be it be supplier parts or emissions limited? Will it be $120+ price limited?

210+ MPH top speed;

2.6 seconds/lap faster @ VIR,, so Tadge is already openly speculating at being # 1 at the annual Lightning Lap competition (last time finishing second to only a vehicle which costs $775K more than the Z06;

From the A pillar backwards, identical to a Z06 except for wheels and rear wing;

4 more heat exchangers for betting cooling, and so much more.

·
18,662 Posts
Wow John, I'm impressed... you use "Instagram"?! ;)
Don’t be impressed, for I neither use Instagram nor Twitter. I am mostly “ole’”school.” I just know where to find and transfer info here.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Well--I like the motor and the hood! Rest of the outside like mine. Am glad they now have the proper air flow through the engine bay lol.

I KNOW IT IS A BIG DEAL FOR THE TRACK CAPABILITY but jezz the wing and the front splitter are too much at least for me. Plus I do not want to give up over a 100 ponies!:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
First ZR1 teaser video; found by Jag. Thank you!
I’m assuming this teaser video is a European version and the reveal date is actually this Sunday, 11/12/17 as shown in the teaser video that Chevrolet posted today on Twitter which I linked to an earlier post in this thread. There was alsoan earlier Car & Driver article talking about Dubai as a reveal location followed by LA two weeks later.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I’m assuming this is a Euro version and the reveal date is actually this Sunday, November 12. There was an earlier Car & Driver article talking about Dubai as a reveal location followed by LA two weeks later.
My understanding is that UK versions must have headlight washers and I don't see those in these pics.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts