Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It may be just me but if I ever pay MSRP for a depreciating commodity, know that I've hit a mult-million dollar lottery and money has no longer become a concern. No. Wait. Don't play the lottery so this will never happen. :)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It may be just me but if I ever pay MSRP for a depreciating commodity, know that I've hit a mult-million dollar lottery and money has no longer become a concern.
Given the performance bargain the ZR-1 offers, shouldn't you buy a dozen or so at MSRP for your buddies here on SRF???

No. Wait. Don't play the lottery so this will never happen. :)
It's never too late to start!

Let's not forget the wisdom of W.C. Fields, on how best to spend money...
Capture.JPG

·
Registered
653 Posts
I can remember seeing several years ago when the Ford Shelby Mustangs came out the Super Snakes were in dealerships at 50K over list. I clearly remember chuckling to myself at a dealership and telling the salesman I could cross the street and buy a loaded Corvette for less money than they wanted for the Mustang. His reply was "but this car is way more car than the Corvette". I didn't agree with him...
I considered the gt350 but refuse to pay over (or even at) MSRP for one. The Stingray is a way better deal and more car for the money, in my opinion.

I don't see the ZR1 as holding its value that well...but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
California dealerships are notorious for "adjusting" prices on high demand vehicles. I remember when the C7 Z06 was introduced and many dealers there were routinely charging $10K to $20K over MSRP. :p

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
California dealerships are notorious for "adjusting" prices on high demand vehicles. I remember when the C7 Z06 was introduced and many dealers there were routinely charging $10K to $20K over MSRP. :p
I'm sorry, Paul, but your statement is misleading.

If you had said, "Some California dealerships..." then what you wrote above would be true. However, it is far from being true, in general.

I bought my Z06 from a California dealership, and they absolutely slaughtered the price offered to me by a very well-known east coast dealer who is popular here on this forum. I just checked my bill of sale and invoice, and I saved $7,800.77 by buying from a CA dealer compared to what I would have paid if buying from that east coast dealer, not to mention I didn't have to pay for the car until after I inspected it, and it was shipped locally to me for no extra car carrier cost or courtesy delivery fee. Furthermore, the local CA dealership even threw in free installation for the side skirts I bought from a third-party vendor, and the dealership ate the cost for a full four wheel alignment including rear caster (I thought they should have charged the alignment back to GM, but they just paid for it themselves).

The rumors of CA dealerships being bad are greatly exaggerated. Sure, there are some which are outrageous, but you can get that anywhere.

There are great dealerships everywhere, and CA is no exception: there are fabulous dealerships there, you just have to go to the right ones.

Oh, yeah, I did have to wait between two and three extra months to get the car compared to what it would have taken if I had gone with a large volume east coast dealer, but saving BIG money, having the flexibility to back out of the deal with $0.00 cost to me if I found something that I didn't like about the vehicle when delivered (CA law prohibits dealerships keeping the deposit - it must be 100% refundable for ANY reason the customer has [even if it is "Oh, I changed my mind"] because the CA case law says that dealerships are not harmed by a customer backing out of an order because the dealership can just turn around and sell the car to someone else), having a CA purchase contract which is backed by the extremely generous CA lemon law (if ever needed, and CA lemon law covers all cars bought in CA regardless of where registered, but does not cover cars bought from an out-of-state dealer and registered in CA unless the owner is a member of the military), and getting individualized attention from a small dealership where I was a big deal instead of just another customer number was WELL worth the extra two to three month's wait.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Rodney, point taken and mea culpa.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Back in 2000 my local BMW dealer had a new Z8. MSRP was $124,000, additional markup sticker was $100,000, and they sold it for that. The same with every other one they got. Funn though, a low mileage Z8 today is still about $200,000... I doubt you would be able to say that for the ZR1...

21 - 28 of 28 Posts